Christ has no body on earth but yours,

no hands but yours,

no feet but yours.

Yours are the eyes through which

Christ's compassion for the world is to look out;

Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;

and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.

- Saint Teresa of Avila

Habitat in Sante Fe, Argentina

This year's Global Village build will take place in Sante Fe, Argentina - a mere 6 hour bus ride from Buenos Aires. When the Salado River overflowed its banks into the City of Sante Fe in April 2003, more than 30,000 families were affected. According to estimates by UN experts, the impact on the province's gross national product was as damaging as that of the earthquakes in El Salvador. Prior to the flood, the city already had one of the highest poverty indexes and housing deficits in the country. A quarter of the city's inhabitants already lived in substandard housing settlements surrounded by garbage dumps and contaminated waters. Theft and violence, along with the contamination, are the biggest threats to decent living in Sante Fe.






Habitat Build

Habitat Build
"If I had a hammer......"

Monday, August 9, 2010

LAST DAY together

Who would think you could sleep on a bus with so little leg room??

The next picture should show that all was right with the world when we came across nice dogs in the town square. Here Cory is having a word with the dog to make sure he's good. :)
The next picture should be of Larry "Sweet Feet" Kalantari learning the Polka.

Followed by the professionals doing the Polka.

Our view from a cafe on the square. One picture is of Laura, Riley, Sweet Feet, Cory, Josh and me. Another shot is of me, Sweet Feet and Cory and the other is of Laura, Sweet Feet and Cory.





















We then saw a bunch of kids build a human tower. You really needed to see this in person to fully appreciate it!










Hopefully the next shot is of Cory helping Larry pick out some art. This is followed by an excellent "jump shot" by Cory. I am just wondering if she did that at the beginning of the week would she have gotten much higher :)










One picture is of Cory and me killing time while Larry shops. The next picture (maybe) is Josh getting his tail kicked again by a girl - this time though it was a bendy girl of many faces called "Laura".












And the final "night cap" crew as it were.












So, it is now the last day. When I thought about coming back to Krakow for a final day of R&R and a team dinner, I thought it would be pretty anti-climactic. I thought I would feel like all I really wanted to be was at home. It turned out how I felt was I wanted to be home, but I wanted these folks in Dallas too!
Sunday morning we got to "sleep in" as the bus wasn't coming for us until 9 AM. For me, sleep has been highly overrated on this week :) I was awake bright and early to just spend some quiet time reflecting on the trip. I thought about how two pivitol people on this team were last minute additions when two team members had to drop out. I believe this team with these people were brought together for a reason and I marvel at that thought.
We loaded up the bus and settled into our 2 hour ride back ot Krakow. There were some tired soldiers on the bus ride back. We returned to our hotel - seemed like we just left and at the same time seemed like it had been forever since we'd been there.
The group split up and went out to explore. Some went to the Shindler museum, some napped and some of us went to shop a little and walk around Town Square. We got to town Square and realized a big festival was going on. When we arrived a big orchestra was playing Polka music. There was a big circle of professional dancers and another big circle of local Polka dancers. Larry, aka "Sweet Feet" did his best to learn the dance steps, but alas, was never invited into the circle. Better luck next time Sweet Feet.

The sun was now out and it was a gorgeous day. Me, Cory, Larry and Laura decided to grab a bite to eat at one of the patio restaurants on the town square so we could continue to watch the festivities. Josh and Riley joined us as we just relaxed, talked and took in the sights for nearly 3 hours. I don't think there was a more perfect way to wind down the trip. The sun warming my skin, the friendships warming my soul.
We decided to head back to the hotel to drop of some stuff in the rooms and then try to find some local artist work for Larry's house. Cory, Larry and I set out through the park on our new quest. The park had some really pretty scenery and some scenery I would desperately like to erase from my mind.
We found the area where the local artists display their work. Larry found a couple of colorful pieces which were really cool. While he shopped, Cory worked on her jump shot - as you can see above. I was impressed with the height she got after the week of physical work she did.
We headed back to the hotel to chill a little and try to nap. Thankfully, Cory had a book of puzzles I could work on. Unfortunately, at this point in the week my neurons were barely firing so I gave up the ghost on the logic questions and focussed on the 'Word Find' puzzles - MUCH easier!! I am sure the Mensa Club will be calling me any day now.
We got cleaned up and the team headed out to walk to dinner. Cory's sweet NASCAR glasses were looking pretty good to those of us who had left our sunglasses in the room! Apparently, I had used all my brain power on the puzzles and couldn't remember my glasses!
We ended up at an Italian restaurant. Several of us were excited over the better wine selection and the menu was excellent too. The food and the wine were terrific. Each person then took a turn sharing their reflections on the week - thank you Karen for starting that!! It was a perfect way to end up the trip!
A few of us stayed back at the restaurant to talk and finish the wine - hey, someone had to do it!! We talked more, but mostly listened to Riley and Josh impart their "wisdom"....sure, that's what we'll call it....onto Patrick - Karen, cover your ears!! Again, we found ourselves laughing even more.
At last it was time to go to the hotel and face the inevitable goodbyes. I am not going to go into too much detail here other than to say the following. Most of you reading this blog know that I am not one to show too much emotion or shed many tears. However, this was different and the tears flowed. How blessed am I to have been able to take part in a trip such as this where after only one week my heart would be touched so deeply by these amazing people. God has always given me exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it and this time was no exception!
This morning Carmen and I went down to meet our usual early breakfast crew - Bill, Sheri and Tim. Cory was also at breakfast which was a great surpise since she has typically been part of the 3rd wave :) Carmen and I had a taxi coming around 9 so i ran to the town center for a couple last errands before our taxi arrived to take us to the airport.
As I try to mentally prepare myelf to re-enter the real world again, my mind keeps drifting back to the previous week - for example, the infamous "cheating scandal" during the Polish history exam and the ensuing battle. My bruises are still healing!! :) There were just so many laughs this week, whether it was Carmen using a KIWI expression that sent me and Larry into a tizzy, Patrick throwing out a key line or phrase, or Riley and Josh showing us a video, I laughed until my side hurt!
To the team members reading this blog, know that you have made a permanent impression on my heart. I am glad several of you are in my territory and I know I will see you again. For others, the trip may have ended, but the friendship has just begun - even if you live in a state I do not cover for work! Thank you all for making this a week I will not forget!
Over and out until the next GV Trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment